MS in Data Science in UK is offered by over 77 institutes as a course-based postgraduate degree. The duration of a full-time degree is 1 year whereas a part-time program can be completed within 2 years. A full-time masters in data science from UK universities will cost an international student anywhere around 23,000 GBP to 25,000 GBP/year. This will be equivalent to 21 Lakhs to 23 Lakhs per annum for an Indian aspirant planning to pursue data science courses in UK.
- This program is part of the computing and informatics discipline and teaches students to extract valuable information from large amounts of data.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline with a minimum 60% is required to get admission to MS in data science in UK universities.
- The average salary of a data science graduate in the UK is 53,253 GBP.
Why Study Data Science in the UK?
As the volume of data being collected by various organizations is increasing, the demand for data science graduates is also increasing, especially in the UK, as demonstrated by the Dynamics of Data Science Skills report of Royal Society. The rise of demand has made data science one of the highly sought after masters in the UK.
- Data science jobs in the UK increased by 35% from 736,611 in 2015 to 996,262 in 2017-2020.
- Funding of 13 Million GBP has been announced in AI, Data Analytics, and related projects.
- A 45 million GBP investment has been made to 200 PhD programs in AI and related fields (2017-2020), suggesting that the scope of PhD in UK in AI and relevant fields like data science, big data, etc is brighter than it has ever been.
- The maximum increase was observed in jobs for Data Scientists and Advanced Analysts, from 8,157 in 2013 to 27,033 in 2017-2020.
- The average salary of Data Science graduates increased by 5% from 50,800 GBP in 2013 to 53,253 GBP.
- Home to AI and Big Data drive companies like DeepMind, Benevolent AI, Oxbotica and FiveAI as well as Alan Turning Institute, makes UK one of the best study destination for data science courses.
- The highest increase of 35% in salaries of Data Engineers in the UK was also observed in the report published by the Royal Society.
MS in Data Science: What is it about?
Masters in Data Science teaches how to analyze a large set of information and extract useful statistics from it. This program also focuses on implementing the extracted data towards the benefit of the organization or client. Students enrolled in masters in data science in UK get the in-depth knowledge and skills in: Computational data analysis, Machine learning, Statistical principles of data analysis, Insightful large-scale data analysis, Understanding the ethical issues in the application of data science techniques, and Initiating independent data science projects.
MS in Data Science in UK: Admissions
Students with a bachelor’s degree in computer science or other related disciplines are eligible for making applications for masters in data science in UK. An undergraduate degree in cognitive science, electrical engineering, linguistics, mathematics, philosophy, physics, psychology are also considered by some universities for MS in data science in UK admissions. The related degree courses that will be accepted must have statistics, mathematics, and similar subjects that can be considered while working on data.
Eligibility for MS in Data Science in UK
For pursuing masters in data science in UK an international student must fulfill the following minimum criteria.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant discipline.
- 2:1 undergraduate degree or minimum 60% at bachelor’s level for an international degree.
- GRE is not required
- Evidence of proficiency in English language
Masters in Data Science in UK: Jobs
Offering a significant jurisdiction for big data and related fields like data science and a fast pace increase in the demand of workers with specialists data skills, UK is a great destination to find jobs post completion of the degree. As labor data analysis, the demand for skilled workers in the field has more than tripled over past five years as compared to general increase in the demand for workers in other fields. After completion of MS in Data Science, students can work in one of the following jobs in UK:
- Data Scientists and Advanced Analysts
- Analytics Managers
- Data Analysts
- Data Systems Developers
- Data-Driven Decision Makers
- Functional Analysts